Mold FAQs

Mold is a natural microorganism that is a decomposer of organic material such as leaves, paper products, wood and plants. Mold can be found almost anywhere, as long as moisture and a food source is present. While not all molds are toxic, recent research shows an alarming rate of harmful fungal species in homes or buildings with water damage, moisture or high humidity levels. Mold causes far more than just cosmetic damage to your home. The airborne spores can enter our lungs and cause problems including coughing, inflamed glands, sneezing, asthma attacks and, in some extreme cases, even permanent lung damage. Unfortunately, keeping your home clean is not always enough. Although mold is encouraged by dust and warm, damp conditions, it can infiltrate even the most spotless home.
Stachybotrys chartarum is a greenish black mold that grows on material with high cellulose content like wood, straw, wicker, cardboard, etc. particularly when these materials become wet or water-damaged. It typically appears dark in color and may be slimy and wet or dry and powdery.
The only way to control odors caused by mold is to remove the mold.
People have varying tolerances to mold. A small amount of mold spores could cause an asthma attack, respiratory concerns or duress, sinus issues or other health problems in some people while not affecting other people at all. Long-term exposure to mold may eventually become unhealthy for everyone. People who are more susceptible to mold include babies, children, senior citizens, individuals with chronic respiratory conditions, allergies, asthma and people with weakened immune systems.
If you notice a damp, musty odor in your home, we recommend having us do a Mold Inspection. By the time you can smell mold, it has usually spread and may be prevalent in areas that you can’t see like under carpeting, above ceiling tiles, inside walls or in your HVAC system.
Granite Inspection Group’s special equipment and our years of experience are critical to the success we’ve had in identifying hard-to-detect indoor mold problems during a Mold Inspection. When a suspect condition is located, we recommend Mold Testing by collecting samples—either from a surface or in the air—and having them analyzed by an accredited laboratory.
Though you can buy mold test kits at home improvement stores, they don’t provide reliable results. Hiring a certified mold tester like Granite Inspection Group will ensure that the right Mold Tests are conducted and, more importantly, interpreted accurately. Be wary of companies that offer free mold testing that also provide mold removal services—they often exaggerate work involved with mold remediation.
If we find areas where we see or suspect to find mold, we will likely recommend Mold Testing. This will reveal the type and extent of mold damage. Once we’ve established the source and severity of problem areas, we will recommend a remediation plan.
A typically Mold Inspection usually takes at leat an hour and can vary depending on the scope, size and onsite condition at time of assessment.
We are licensed and certified for the entire state of New York. Our service area includes Dutchess County, Ulster County, Orange County, Putnam County, Columbia County, Greene County and Westchester County. Other counties upon request!
Some occurrences of mold can be easily removed if dealt with promptly. If mold has developed over a longer period of time or invades your HVAC system, you should contact Granite Inspection Group right away at 845-635-2552 to conduct a Mold Inspection.
It depends on what caused the mold and the policy coverage you have. Most policies don’t cover water damage caused by poor maintenance like repeated water seepage, leakage, drainage or humidity issues. Some policies specifically exclude water damage caused by floods. Most policies do cover sudden or accidental water losses like burst pipes, sewer backup or sump pump failure. The best thing to do is check your policy carefully or call your insurance agent.